Sunday 29 July 2007

Sea Silk and Mysteries......

I've cast on for the Melon Scarf in Victorian Lace Today, using a gorgeous red Handmaiden Sea Silk. I love love love the look of this yarn. It's got a beautiful colour and gorgeous sheen.

But I'm not really enjoying knitting with it. At least not so far. I miss the warmth and forgiving nature of wool. I'm knitting this on 3.75mm needles, and although I'm happy with how the fabric looks - I find it really loose and flimsy while I'm knitting. I'm finding it more comfortable now that I've done a few pattern repeats - the weight of the completed knitting helps things feel more stable on the needles.

I'm sure I'll adapt to the sea silk -- at least I hope I do, I have the same yarn in 3 other colours in the stash!!

The melon pattern itself is very straightforward. This is the centre panel, and consists of a very easily memorised 6 row, 10 stitch repeat. Really good DVD watching knitting. (In fact, I knit most of this last night while watching Little Miss Sunshine. How good is that film? I loved it so much I'm tempted to watch it again tonight. Funny and warm without being sickly sweet. ) Anyway - the centre panel is a pretty easy knit. I'm not sure what edging I'm going to use -- I'm not convinced the one used in the book will work with the sea silk.


The Mystery Deepens (and Lengthens)

I've completed clue 4 on both of the stoles. I confess to being entirely in the dark about what Melanie has in store for the pattern next. The lifelines she strongly recommended (required) have been inserted in both stoles. But what can they be for?? Surely if they were lifelines in the traditional sense they'd be closer to the end of the clue -- rather than 48 rows back. Hmmmm.....

Melanie added to group's curiousity when she posted this cryptic comment on the Yahoo group:
I hope you are all enjoying knitting this design and I just have one request for you before the next clue is posted in a week: Trust me. I've knit what's coming twice and if you follow thedirections step by step, it will work. Don't panic, just trust me.

6 comments:

Adrienne said...

That is going to be beautiful! Love that color!

LittleBerry said...

love the melon scarf and the seasilk.. am with you on the puzzle of the lifeline in the PLT stole....

Viknits said...

Very puzzling over the stole isn't it... yours look beautiful, I've not even finished clue 1!!
I'm loving the sea silk! :)

Holly said...

Your MS3 is gorgeous! I haven't seen one that far along yet, it inspires me to keep on going!

Janice said...

I love the colour of that seasilk, that is going to be one lovely Melon scarf.

Anonymous said...

I'm knitting the scarf with 20 edging in sea silk and I quite agree with you re the feel of it and the need to knit several repeats before it starts to look okay.
I'm on the second side now so hopefully will power through it and get back to MS3.
recommend this pattern tho.
I've done the melon shawl already and aim to do Dolphin or the alpine next after being inspired by yours!