(I know I said I wouldn't mention the 'L' word again but I have to say thanks so much for all the lovely comments! Despite all of my best efforts, none of my friends knit so hearing what knitters think means a lot to me.)
I've spent a fair bit of time this week photographing my lace stash for Ravelry. For those of you not yet on Ravelry, it includes a stash inventory, which includes all the relevant details (colour yardage, weight) and (if you care to supply them) photos.
I learned that I have a lot of lace yarn. A whole lot. Enough to get me through any future lace yarn shortage without too much trouble. But what are the odds that sometime in the next week I'll find a pattern or yarn that calls out for a yarn I don't have?
Next week I'll tackle the sock yarn.
A bit of cast on activity this week. I'm undecided on the colour and how it is knitting up so far. I'll finish this one and check it out with the owner of the intended foot. This is a modified Monkey. The modification is simply to replace the purl stitches in the pattern with knit stitches. I like the effect and it speeds up the knitting. Wahey!
To keep the spirally pattern I'll also replace the heel with an afterthought heel.
I couldn't stay away from Niebling toooo long so I've also cast on the large 'Oak' doily in the August 1985 Anna magazine. Another really lovely pattern from the genius Niebling portfolio.
This time I used Rosemarie's circular start which I really liked. (You can find her detailed instructions here.) The start uses a provisional cast on in scrap yarn which really helps to give the first few stitches some structure when you start knitting for real.
You then thread the yarn end through the stitches, cut away the scrap yarn and heh presto a very tidy starting circle.