Friday 30 January 2009

Best Knitting of the Week

Thanks so much to everyone for all of the great suggestions for man socks - I've got lots to choose from now and I'll definitely be working through them over the year.

Last night gorgeous goddaughter Genevieve came round for our usual evening of pizza, SingStar (Abba!!) and chat. She has a few times expressed an interest in learning to knit but I haven't really pushed it because - well - I thought she was just flattering me to ensure she stays high on the handknit list.

But she mentioned it again and I decided to call her bluff. So somewhere in between the pizza and Abba we pulled out some needles and some gorgeous leftover cashmere Posh Yarn (get her hooked on the good stuff early) and got her started.

And look at this knitting! She's a natural!

She did some garter stitch, some stockinette and then finished off the lesson tackling a couple of rows of ribbing.

I'm looking for an easy-ish first project for her which we'll start next week. Will she take knitting up seriously? Who knows. But it's a fun diversion for now and something for her to do when I force her to sit through Gone With the Wind.

11 comments:

Chrissy said...

I am so impressed with her first attempt at knitting. It's so neat. Great idea starting her with good yarn, that way you get hand knits from her, in the future, made of the best quality.

fleegle said...

Oh, that is so cruel. Hooking her on cashmere...isn'that against the law or something? Pretty soon she'll be hocking your jewelry for Posh stash. Tsk :)

Evelyn said...

Looks like a great lesson! And how much nicer to learn on cashmere than on the usual Red Heart starter skein!

LittleBerry said...

you do realise your stash wont be safe if she gets addicted...
"auntie soo you've got a really nice skein in your stash......"

Opal said...

i agree with LittleBerry. you need to safeguard your stash. and hooking her on cashmere? how evil is that?

Agnes said...

Nice! Nurture her interest so you have a knitting and yarn-shopping buddy.

cici said...

bravo for you to for adding another knitter to the fold. It seems like it was meant to be.

blog-blethers said...

What an impressive first attempt!! And maybe find a new hiding place for your stash;o)

Robin Marie said...

GORGEOUS knitting! Also, I love the color! Thirdly, I agree that starting her with cashmere was mean. I wouldn't even touch the stuff until this year (and I've been knitting for about 15) because I know I can't afford it!

Batty said...

That's the first thing she's ever knit? She's definitely a natural!
And you're so evil, introducing her to cashmere right away... mmmmmm, cashmere.

Yarndancer said...

That's a fantastic piece of first knitting! Yay, another person getting introduced into the craft! :D