So far in 2009 I feel like I've ripped out more knitting than I have in my whole knitting life!
The first project I (almost) finished this year failed at the blocking stage (the blocking stage!)(all knitting done!)(the magic failed me!) and is now in a heap in my knitting basket. Eventually I'll rip it out and use the yarn for something else.
It was a Hemlock Blanket in Noro Silk Garden. To be honest I was never really in love with it so I'm not gutted that NO amount of blocking would remove the puckers. I've made the Hemlock successfully before and suspect that it is the extended size of this version (150 rounds) that is causing the problem. Or rather, that I extended the size but didn't increase the increase rate sufficiently. Or something.
I've been faffing around with this Silk Garden yarn for ages and ages. I'm determined to make a throw/blanket of some sort with it but haven't found a happy pattern yet. As you can see in these pics I've tried a few things but so far no joy.
My second project of 2009 has a happier ending and I hope to post some pictures later today when I release it from the pins -- but it involved a lot of ripping back as well.
It's obviously going to be one of those years.