The Great Canadian British American Aran Afghan (with a few squares from other sources) is finished! Hurrah!
As Fleegle commented Aran blankets tend to be quite heavy - and this is no exception - it is definitely one for cold nights. 21 skeins of Rowan Pure Wool Aran add up to a substantial afgahn! It's about 4.5 ft x 5.5 ft, perfect for wrapping up on the sofa.
After finishing up the 'squares' (as I commented previously they weren't square and they weren't the same size!) - I wet blocked them - and hurrah - like magic suddenly I had 20 12 x 12 inch perfect-ish squares.
I used crochet to seam the blocks together into strips. I then joined the strips together.
The original pattern has a cable border but I wanted to include the accent colours in mine so I opted for a simple garter stitch.
The first obstacle with the border was finding a circular needle long enough to fit around the blanket. A 120cm KnitPro needle was just a that bit too short - making the knitting a bit uncomfortable. My second concern was running out of cream yarn.
Easily solved, I thought, that's what shops are for.
I was wrong.
What should have been a simple 1 to 1.5 hour shopping trip became a 6 hour epic journey as Transport for London, my local-ish yarn shop, and John Lewis conspired against me. It ended well though with a visit to Loop in Islington where I got what I needed (and a bit more!) I hadn't been to their new location and it's lovely.
The endurance test passed I knit the garter stitch border, 4 rows of cream, 2 rows each of the colours and 10 rows of cream to finish.
I love the afghan and I loved making the afghan. It is a really great project and I recommend it to anyone who wants to get into some cable work. Beginners shouldn't be frightened away - there are some simpler blocks to give you some confidence and if you take each block one stitch at a time you will be fine.
16 of the squares are from the Great American Aran Afghan booklet - and four I sourced from other places. I've compiled a list of the squares I used in the post below.
(Apologies for the picture above -- I tried to 'blur' out the messy bedside cabinets in Photoshop. It would have been faster, easier and made a better picture if I'd just moved the books and odds and ends!)