Sunday 23 May 2010

Knitting on....and on....

The Wedding Ring Shawl is made up of three components -- the centre square, the wide border and finally the narrow edging. 

The centre square (which I've just finished) (WooHoo!) is knit back and forth on 250ish stitches for 362 rows.   By my reckoning that's about 90,000 stichest -- a third of the total shawl.


If I didn't have a lot of experience (and therefore faith) in the miraculous properties of blocking to turn this mess into something gorgeous when it's comopleted I think I'd have given up long before now.

But I haven't given up and now I get ready to face the wide border -- where knitting endurance is tested beyond all reason.

In preparation for the wide border I will pick up stitches along each of the other three sides of the centre square and begin to knit round the square.  To keep the corners 'corner-like' I'll be increasing every second row at each of the corners.



That means the wide border rows begin with 980 stitches per row/round, and grows to almost 1300.

All of that to say that for the next little while - Wedding Ring Shawl updates are going to be even duller than they have been!!

6 comments:

Helen (Fuss Free Flavours) said...

It will be lovely!

I do not think that I have the patience. Having said that I do have a hankering to try a Niebling one day....

Poison_kitty said...

Knowing your patience and skill at lace projects, I can't wait to see how this turns out. I couldn't imagine having 1300 stitches on one needle!

fleegle said...

I empathize. I am working in the TQS--1200 stitches each row to start the border. And I am bored bored bored. But still gritting teeth. It will be gorgeous when you finish, I am sure!

LittleBerry said...

I can't believe you've finished the middle already!

Your posts - dull? Never ;o)

K @ Tidewater Knits said...

It's going to look absolutely amazing, I bet. <3 I envy your patience and skill with lace.

Fiona Reynolds said...

That is looking so lovely!