Thursday 22 May 2008

I Still Got Nothin'

Today the Caked Crusader stormed (really, she stormed) into my office and said, "When are you going to update your blog? Every time I open it, it's the green socks. I'm over the green socks. I liked the green socks but I don't want to look at them again."

So, here I am.

Unfortunately, I'm still stealth knitting so no knitting progress pictures. I'm making a few things for people who might dip into this blog and don't want to spoil the surprise (or indeed increase their anxiety level over what the heck I'm going to make them wear now).

For various reasons (mostly timing of delivery of books, patterns, yarn, needles and buttons) I'm working concurrently on about 6 projects at the moment meaning I've become a multiple Work in Progress-er (WIPer).


And I have one question.

How do you multi-WIP-ers ever finish anything? I swear, I'm knitting, but nothing's getting finished. I work on one project a bit and then another and then another, and each moves forward....but .... sigh.

I'm just not cut out for this knitting around. I'm a one project kind of gal.

(I should confess that the lack of progress could also be related to the fact that I had completed half a stealth project when I realised the gauge was off. Way off. And sadly, it's a project where gauge matters. Back to the drawing board.)

Errrr - that's all I got.

(The pictures are of a couple of recent purchases. The bag is a lovely Offhand Design knitting bag that I bought from Purlescence. I love it. It gets loads of compliments, and I use it as a handbag even when I don't want to take any knitting along. The Noro is sock yarn. It feels a bit rough, but I've read that it softens up after the first washing. I sure hope so, or someone's feet are going to be very very unhappy.)

18 comments:

Gale Bulkley said...

Nice bag. Very nice.

fleegle said...

Me too. Roy wants a new blog entry, but real work and yard work have gotten in the way. And like you, I have several things in progress that are not worth photographing. I love to look at pictures of Noro, but I would rather pet a porcupine.

cat lady said...

Hmmm many projects none completed... sounds like someone's losing control?? I know you're a multi tasker so I'm sure that all of the stealth projects will all come to completion around the same time and you'll be left with empty knitting needles.

Then it will be the search for the next project or what to collect next.. pez dispensers? books? music? No, wait you already did that.... back to bobbin lace? hmmmm. Maybe some new knitting challenges... who knows... only Soo knows.... If you ever need a list of knitting projects, let me know I'd happily supply them!

:-))

Linda said...

Beautiful bag! I need to be monogomous with my WIP's too but never am so don't finish much at the mo!

The Caked Crusader said...

I rather like the idea of me storming into your office and demanding an update! While the events described are true I can't help feel that you've made me sound more exciting than I am (after all I am a timid baker of cakes).
Can you please add that I wore a cape and large hat and when I left let out a laugh that sounded like "mwah ha ha ha"?
Thanks.

Carolyn said...

I'm a one project woman myself. I've tried to work on numerous projects at once, several times, but it never works for me. Like you I just feel I'm not making much progress on anything!

LittleBerry said...

Well I'm glad the caked crusader stormed in your office :o)...

I try and keep my projects to 2 pairs of socks, lace shawl and perhaps something else smaller or non-thinking... I have customers who have 7/8 things on the go and that doesn't inc socks it makes me cringe:oS

Just can't get round to fancying Noro sock yarn, and if fleegle will lend me her porcupine, I'll pet that too instead of the Noro...

Batty said...

That's a really, really pretty bag. I love it, wonder if it comes in black or burgundy...

About the multitasking: I find it a little annoying, actually, because you go through a dry spell where nothing gets finished, you just knit and knit... and then, wham! One thing after the other is flying off the needles, and you don't have surface around the house that isn't taken up by blocking projects. It's weird.

Opal said...

I love that bag! It's just gorgeous. I need to do another blog entry. It's just so hard to keep up while I'm away from home.

Anonymous said...

I saw some Noro for the first time yesterday, but I decided not to buy it because it felt so rough. Please let us know if it does soften with washing, then I might just revisit the very expensive wool shop I saw it in :)

florencemary said...

Multi-WIP-ers is a psychological state, which indicates an inability to finish things - an avoidance of 'closure'. I suppose I feel a bit sorry for them sometimes, but then I think, 'oh for goodness sake! Finish the buggering thing and move on!'

Oops, sorry, Soo, for the rudeness...

Viknits said...

I'm a multi WIP-er. I keep my stash out, and it's constantly inspiring me, so I get impatient to cast on, and end up with about 4 projects at a time on the needles.
Awwwwwww no WIP info! :( but still, the noro yarn photo is *very* tempting. As is the bag. I'm a sucker for bags.
Hope you get some projects finished soon!

cpurl17 said...

I'm the Queen of WIPs...and jealous of that gorgeous new bag.
Your many fans patiently wait.....

Lacefreak said...

I'm hapy to get a post even without any finished projects! I know in the end we will eventually get to see someting :-)

Cinders said...

Good on you cake crusader for giving soo a nudge!!!! I always 'tune' into your blog coz your output is so quick theres always something new and fabulous to view! I agree with Batty though multi knitting does have its lean spell and then everything suddenly gets finished at once.
looking forward to seeing your finished projects

Robin said...

Great bag - love the colors! And, I love Noro! I'm on my 5th Multi-directional Scarf out of Silk Garden, am working on the Argosy Wrap with Silk Garden, and have a bag of Silk Garden Light for the Lady Eleanor wrap and Noro Kuryeon sock yarn for a shawl. A knitter friend did a shawl out of this and it is gorgeous!!! I tagged you for a MeMe - hope you don't mind. Info on my blog!

kathryn said...

I like having different types of knitting on the go..like socks for the car, something simple for the tele, something hard like tricky lace but if I have too much they all come to a standstill as the initial enthusiasm wanes.

Better to have one finished thing than lots of bits.

Anonymous said...

I want the bag. Shall I send you my address?

I used to be a multi-tasker myself. Since I started lacework, however, I've turned more faithful to my ongoing project. Serial monogamy I guess. For me, it's because the lace is harder to leave and then pick up...